The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Trouble With Harry

I’m trying to decide where to file Harry Reid’s planned opposition to John Roberts’ confirmation: Profiles in futility? Profiles in pettiness? Profiles in senility?

I’m sure Senator Reid has his reasons for voting against Judge Roberts. He’s not up for reelection, and the final result is inevitable.

According to the Washington Post article “Words That Will Haunt,” Senator Reid's explanation of his planned vote will come back to haunt Democrats the next time they get a chance to nominate a Supreme Court justice. Yeah, I guess that’s true, or at least possible. I don’t know if Senator Reid has taken that into consideration, or if he even cares.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Reid wants to send the President a message that his next choice, the one to replace retiring Judge O’Connor, better not be too far out. And I think he is trying to make a statement that he didn’t like the way the process worked this time with access to materials, etc.

So with all that in mind I will file this under Profiles in Courage. Harry Reid isn’t telling the President that he can’t have his nominee confirmed. After all, he’s just one small voice out of one hundred. But he is telling the President that he doesn’t approve. And he has that right.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger zencomix said…

    Hey Ed...sure, I'll trade links with you. Thanks for stopping by...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home