The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Briar Patch

I don’t know why I’m so suspicious of Alberto Gonzales, but all the moaning and groaning from the far Right over the possibility that he might be nominated to replace Sandra Day O’Connor on the Supreme Court reminds me of Brer Rabbit’s protestations: “Please don’t throw me in the briar patch!” Now the Right is protesting, “Please don’t give us Gonzales!” Does something ring a little phony here? Maybe, maybe not, but now that I think about it I do know why I’m so suspicious of Alberto Gonzales: he’s a close, close friend of George W. Bush. I don’t trust this President, and in some ways I don’t trust the process of choosing a new Supreme Court justice, or the potential outcome of that process.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is because he is a TexMexmerican.
    Miguel Mena

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said…

    I really don't think I have anything against Alberto Gonzalez because of his ethnic background. I merely raise the possibility that he seems to be a moderate, but what if he turns out to be ultra conservative? To use another literary allusion, this time from Shakespeare, Methinks the right doth protest too much, or at least I entertain that possiblity. No one can know anything for sure until it actually becomes reality, so all we can do is discuss possibilities and probabilities. Alberto Gonzalez may be appointed to the Supreme Court and he may become a wonderful justice. And he may not. But the right doesn't know, and the left doesn't know either. Let us hope that whoever becomes the next Supreme Court justice, whatever his background, will be a credit to the Court and a credit to the citizens of the United States. That's all anyone can hope for.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home