The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Light at the End of the Tunnel

Before today the best news I had ever heard was when Dean Smith, head coach of the University of North Carolina basketball team, retired. Smith was a highly successful coach who repeatedly broke the hearts of the fans of many other teams, including my NC State Wolfpack. The day he retired was glorious. Finally his near-monopoly would be broken. Of course Coach K competed on an equal, perhaps superior level, and did not ingratiate himself to many non-Duke fans, but Coach Smith had been around for 30 years. It was time for him to go, and we were glad.

Today is also a glorious news day (although it doesn’t rival the retirement of Coach Smith). With 50% of Americans in favor of impeaching President Bush because of the Iraq War, and with Al Gore looking better and better for 2008, the world, which has recently seemed to be spiraling down toward doomsday, may have hope after all. And considering all the recent GOP scandals, and the fact that Dick Cheney might end up as the target for the CIA leak investigation, I’m a happy man. I’m an optimist anyway, so I was just looking for something to feel good about.

President Bush, like Dean Smith, has broken the hearts of many opposing fans (especially Democrats) as well as those of many of his most ardent supporters. When he leaves office January 20, 2009, it will be none too soon. It won’t be the happiest day of my life, but almost.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let hope we don't have to wait until January 20, 2009. An impeachment would be nice.

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said…

    Yeah, Mindy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home