The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, September 23, 2005

New Prostate Cancer Test

I applaud the new blood test for prostate cancer that is supposed to be better than the old PSA (prostate specific antigen) test. The old test has false positives 80% of the time, resulting in many unnecessary biopsies. The new test is correct about 80% of the time.

As anyone who has ever had one can tell you, a biopsy is no fun. It is like getting snapped in the butt a dozen times by a big, old rubber band. It hurts like hell. It’s enough to make someone want to never go through that experience again. And it is expensive. If you consider that with the PSA test a biopsy is unnecessary 80% of the time, then it is no wonder that medical costs in this country seem to be going up.

There are a lot of unnecessary procedures being performed out there. Of course some of that stems from the inadequacy of some of our diagnostic tests, but I also think part of it stems from the fact that a doctor buys expensive equipment, which he then has to use in order to recuperate his cost.

I’d like to see doctors try some alternative treatments when prostate cancer is suspected and not resort immediately to the biopsy.

In any event, hooray for the new prostate cancer test. Maybe it can help eliminate some needless suffering and wasteful spending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home