The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Cheney Unchanged

Nicholas Kristof has an interesting opinion piece in the New York Times, “What did Cheney know, and when did he know it?” In the piece he urges Cheney to hold a televised news conference and answer a number of questions relating to the Libby-Wilson-Plame-CIA investigation. Either that or resign.

Will the Vice President hold a news conference? I doubt it. First, I think he believes he has done no wrong, and therefore has nothing to answer for. I think he believes this with the same conviction he believed that we should go to war in Iraq; that we should oust Saddam Hussein; that we would be greeted as liberators; and that people would throw flowers at our troops instead of IEDs. So don’t look for Dick Cheney to hold a news conference anytime soon.

Will he answer questions? You know, I can see Mr. Cheney going on something like The Larry King Show and having a fireside chat with Larry. But when the Vice President says something -- even when he talks about threats from mushroom clouds -- he says it with such authority that it is hard to argue with him. So yes, I can see him in some kind of softball situation. Don’t look for him to appear on Hardball.

Will the Vice President resign? I’ve got to admit I’m ambivalent about this. In some ways I’d like to see the whole lot of them out of there. On the other hand, who would run the country if Cheney resigned?

Mr. Kristof’s article was interesting, and I agree that the Vice President should answer questions about his role in the whole affair, but I’m not holding my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home