The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, December 01, 2006

I was rather critical recently of those who don’t give up eating red meat. Now I have run into this article that says eating a lot of sugar could lead to pancreatic cancer. I really don’t feel that I can stop eating sugar, so I think I should apologize to those who can’t stop eating red meat. I am sorry.

We mentioned yesterday that the effects on the brain of chemotherapy, called “chemo brain,” may be temporary. Today we learn that chemotherapy destroys brain cells. All this is just one more reason to try and eat healthy so we can avoid THE BIG C (chemotherapy.)

Young women who undergo cancer treatment may be able to have their ovaries removed and frozen for future use. Women who are treated for cancer often lose fertility, so if this works it would be great.

Cancer survivors who gain too much weight run the risk of having their cancer return. This article has more on the research published in CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, mainly that cancer survivors should exercise one to three hours per week.

Can nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NASIDs) prevent cancer?

Pregnant women should not take Paxil?

Scientists in Australia are making a concerted effort to find a cure for schizophrenia and bipolar disease. That is certainly a worthwhile enterprise. Good luck with that.

Is the blood supply safe? Why is the Red Cross being fined more than $5 million?

Bird flu is likely to cost another $1.3 billion, and that’s just the monetary cost.

Here is an article on diet and headaches, including migraines.

Apparently, yo-yo dieting causes gallstones in men. I wouldn’t let this fact deter me from trying to lose weight. Weight control is often problematic to begin with. But it is good to try and maintain a healthy weight.

Tall men are more likely to develop testicular cancer than short men? I'm sorry, but this kind of research sounds a little suspect to me.


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Scott Hamilton isn't tall.

    In AP school we had to give up either, caffeine, sugar, dairy or meat for thirty days so we could understand what we were asking of our patients.

    Since I got the first three only once a day (my cup of tea) that wasn't much to give up. Thirty days of no meat was horrible. I was cold, got two colds, couldn't sleep because I was too cold. At 12 pm on the thirtieth day I was in front of a Thai restaurant waiting for them to open. The garlic pork was very satisfying.

    In Chinese medicine not every one can or should eat the same thing. I tend to be a very cold individual and therefore can and should eat meat. If you are hyper, hot and anxious meat is not your friend.

    All of the organs have their own flavors or tastes. The taste of the spleen (pancreas in western medicine) is sweet. A little is good, too much is obviously not. You would be most surprised what we consider sweet. There are empty sweets like candy and full sweets like rice. Chocolate and coffee are considered in small quantities to be good for the kidney. Eastern nutrition is something that you might find works for you better than some of the other systems. It is based on you and not others.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home