The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Enemy as Ally

It is difficult, if not impossible, for the left to criticize the right these days. The right hides behind the issues of terrorism, homeland security, the war in Iraq, support for our troops, and other similar concerns. Any attempt to criticize or question them is portrayed as giving comfort to the enemy. Any dissent or discussion is portrayed as unpatriotic. The Democrats need to come to terms with this phenomenon. As long as the Republicans have an enemy to hide behind, the Democrats will be locked out of positions of political power and leadership. Some ways in which the Democrats can deal with this:
  • Let the American people know that they can protect us as well as or better than the Republicans can.
  • Take a strong stand on terrorism.
  • Explode the myth that our country and our citizens are safer today than they were before Iraq.
  • Continue to reveal the truth about the psychotic economic policies of the Bush administration.
In some ways, sad to say, maybe the Democrats need to learn to hide behind the enemy too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home