The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricanes and Global Warming

Scientists say that the destructiveness of hurricanes may be increasing due to global warming. That's not all, though. There was some discussion on MSNBCs Connected yesterday about the impact of the environment on hurricane flooding, etc. Juliet Eilperin of the Washington Post linked some of the effects of hurricane Katrina in New Orleans with some of the environmental actions that have been taken by the government, such as altering the course of the Mississippi River which resulted in the loss of wetlands, which resulted in flooding, etc. Then there is global warming which has caused a rise in sea level, which would increase storm surges.

I think there is a connection between environmental policy and the environment. If my state got hit by a lot of hurricanes (I'm thinking Florida and Louisiana, here, but there are others) I would vote for a presidential candidate who was strong on environmental issues. I would not vote for the likes of George W. Bush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home