The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Disaster? Which Disaster?

The Newsweek article “Disaster, Take Two” argues that “the debate over the deficit, at least for the White House, is less about real numbers and more about politics.”

I would argue that it is all about politics. George W. Bush is a politician. That is all. For him, it always boils down to politics. That’s all he knows. He doesn’t know foreign affairs. He doesn’t know effective management skills. Half the time I don’t even think he knows what’s going on. His speeches, statements, and news conferences are reflective of that. Half the time he sounds confident and knowledgeable, and the other half he seems to be hesitant, groping for words.

The President will never raise taxes to pay for anything. He saw what happened to his dad when he went back on his “read my lips” pledge. George W. Bush will stubbornly maintain his position so that when the Democrats finally call for tax hikes, he can say, “Oh, the Democrats are just tax-and-spend Liberals,” and he can score more political points.

We currently have two major American cities that are paralyzed and effectively shut down. But I might argue that the real “Disaster, Take Two” occurred during last year’s Presidential election when George W. Bush was given a second term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home