The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Justice
Here’s some of the best news I’ve heard recently. It seems that a baker in Italy challenged McDonald’s when it opened a restaurant in his city, and he won. McDonalds has to move out. Good for him. I don’t go to Italy to eat at McDonalds. If I go to Italy I want to eat Italian food, real Italian food, not an Americanized version of something. I can get that here. In fact, I don’t like the way we are trying to Americanize the world. Rome is special because it is in Italy, and because it is distinctly Italian, just as New York is special because it is in the US and distinctly American. The French have an expression, vive la différence. If you’re a francophobe and don't like that expression, then how about “diversity is a good thing.”

It’s H5N1
Two of the three children who died in Turkey of the bird flu are confirmed to have had the H5N1 virus. Migrating birds are more and more beginning to look like the likely culprits in the spread of this disease. If that is the case, we may have big problems, because we can’t control migrating birds. In that same vein, two wild ducks in Ankara have been determined to have bird flu, and 32 people in Turkey are now ill of suspected bird flu.

It’s gross
The children who died from H5N1 were playing with chicken heads. Give me a break. Is it any wonder they got sick? Where were the parents?

It’s H5N2
Bird flu has cropped up in Mexico, although it is the H5N2 strain.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Michael Bains said…

    Is it any wonder they got sick? Where were the parents?

    I guess they were cooking the rest of the bird for the kids dinner.

    My buddy wondered aloud what might make the kids think playing with chicken head would be fun. I think hackeysack would work well with that size head, eh?

    Ahhh the dangers of ignorance...

    {shakin'head}

     

Post a Comment

<< Home