The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Tap, tap, tap dancing around the law
The Village Voice is saying that, according to the evidence, it looks like Bush knew that wiretaps were wrong. Maybe, but I don’t think the president thought, in his own mind, that they were wrong, and a lot of legal minds agree with him. He definitely knew there were laws against what he was doing, but I don’t think he believed they applied to him. Or if they applied to him, he was determined to put the issue to a test, even in the courts if necessary, because that was one way to take back some presidential power that had been lost in the post-Watergate era. (There is some opinion out there that Bush merely viewed the wiretaps as essential to his being able to successfully prosecute the war on terrorism.) I don’t think Bush or Cheney believed they would ever get caught, but now that they have, I think they relish this challenge to presidential power. In their own minds, I think, they have nothing to lose and much to gain.

What about the troops on the ground?
You can say what you want to about the Democrats’ support for the Iraq War, or lack thereof, but Commander in Chief George W. Bush is losing support among his own troops. Only 54% of the armed forces support his Iraq policy, down 9% from last year, and 60% support his overall policies, down 11%. What is the president doing to merit such a drop in support? He’s got his men in a hornet’s nest, and all he can say is "stay the course."

Tags: , , , , , ,


Still available

The Tao of George W. Bush A perfect Gift

Also check out my other books: The Tao of Politics, The Tao of Red States and Blue States, The Tao of Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home