The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Health Notes
Do cell phone masts cause cancer in people who live nearby? Some think they do. But according to a recent study, cell phones themselves probably don’t cause cancer.

Here’s a video from CBS discussing the benefits of drinking green tea. Speaking of green tea, Enviga tea beverage may not burn calories and help with weight loss after all?

I bought a pound of organic cranberries recently. For a long time I couldn’t figure out what to do with them because I really don’t like them. They are too bitter for me. But last night I put them into a food processor and puréed them. My plan was to add sugar until they tasted better. But then I had an idea to mix raspberry jam with the cranberries, which I did. It all turned out great, and I really feel that the stuff is very healthy, with loads of antioxidants. Cranberries are good for me, and so are raspberries. In any event, this mixture will help me finish off the cranberries in the next couple of days and then I can look for some other kind of fruit to try. I’d love to have some cherries, but I haven’t seen any organic ones recently.

Here is an article on the health benefits of berries. Anthrocyanins and ellagic acid are supposed to have anti-cancer properties, and the other day I mentioned pterostilbene, which is found in blueberries. I didn’t know much about berries, but this article has really opened my eyes a little. They are very healthy. I’ll definitely check them out the next time I go to Whole Foods.

I try to eat very healthy food. I don’t eat meat. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts and seeds, much of it organic. I daresay most people don’t eat the way I do. Here are some of the things that some people do eat. (BTW, I haven't always been a health nut. I used to eat fast food every day, and at most every meal.)

Here are three articles on things employers can do to help their employees. Some companies encourage employees to exercise and eat well. Companies that offer depression screening could end up saving money in the long run. And some companies, like Wal-Mart, are making it possible for their employees to have electronic health records.

If your child needs to be sedated while visiting the doctor or dentist, please make sure everyone knows what they’re doing. Five-year-old Diamond Brownridge of Chicago didn’t wake up from her trip to the dentist.

Here are some things that may reduce the risk of a woman having a miscarriage: eating fruits and vegetables; eating dairy products; taking vitamins; eating chocolate (?).

We talked about this recently: getting a second opinion if you have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Here’s another article on that same subject.

Polysaccharide K (PSK) which is an extract of the Chinese mushroom coriolus versicolor is supposed to help against stomach cancer. (This is available for purchase, you know.) An interesting side note is the fact that about half the world’s stomach cancer occurs in China, mainly I suppose because of the food they eat.

Can some blood pressure medications reduce Alzheimer’s disease?


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Moby Dick said…

    Slow but steady wins the race! Eat less, drink lots of water, don't feel deprived!! Exercise and lifting weights help a lot!! I have lost 145 lbs. so far!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home