The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Health Notes
I have talked a lot about ovarian cancer recently. I believe I can’t talk about it enough, because a lot of women die from it, and it is important that women have information. So, once again, here are the symptoms of ovarian cancer: pelvic or abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, urinary urgency (needing to get to a bathroom immediately), urinary frequency (having to urinate often), feeling full, having difficulty eating. If you have these symptoms, get to a doctor fast.

Women in this study who drank two cups of tea per day presumably had a lower risk of ovarian cancer. And here is a resource for more information on ovarian cancer generally.

Here is a resource for more information on breast cancer.

I have talked a lot about omega-3 fatty acids. I mentioned that those with heart failure should not take omega-3s. Now it seems there are other risks associated with taking too much omega-3, (more than 3 grams per day?) including increased bleeding, stroke, etc. Check this article at Wikipedia, and do more research for yourself. Anything can be overdone, I suppose, including taking omega-3.

Does everyone know what cataracts are? Here is some information. I am definitely going to wear my sunglasses more often. Maybe that will prevent my developing cataracts.

What is it with alcohol? Now they’re saying that it might actually help prevent arthritis. At least it seemed to have been effective for mice.

For alcoholics, if they stop drinking, in many cases their brain chemistry improves and they regain brain volume. This, of course, is cause for optimism.

Here is an article that wonders if we are over-diagnosing prostate cancer. I certainly think we are over-screening for it. I had a biopsy six years ago that I think was totally unnecessary. In this article Dr. Gil Welch at Dartmouth says, “What we should be doing is tell people the whole story and let different people come to different decisions.” I’m all for that.

While we’re talking about prostate cancer, here is an article on some new treatments that may be available.

Here is an article on cancer, diet, and food, including fruits, vegetables, and antioxidants.


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Note: links that look good today often are no longer good in the future. I make every effort to create good links. When I discuss a topic, I also attempt to provide enough pertinent information so that readers won’t have to rely solely on the link at hand for their understanding, or for their further research.


BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home