The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Health Notes
Scientists seem to be making progress in treating cancer. Here is news of a genetically modified bacterium called Clostridium novyi-NT that attacks and eats tumors. This, of course, is what scientists should be doing, trying to find cures for diseases instead of changing the food supply so that some corporation can make more money.

Scientists are working on a pill that could cut the risk of heart disease by 70 percent. The pill combines four existing medications – aspirin, simvastatin, and two blood pressure medicines – into what is called a polypill. It is currently being tested in India.

Some blood pressure drugs, ACE inhibitors and AT1R blockers, may keep pancreatic cancer from spreading.

The two biggest killer diseases in Africa are AIDS and malaria. When you have the two together, that is a recipe for disaster, because malaria seems to multiply the amount of HIV virus in the blood by ten times, making it easier to pass the virus to another person.

With regard to mammograms, etc, I’m just hoping that we get better diagnostic tools in the near future so that we can catch all breast cancer before it becomes a serious threat anyone at any age.

Pro-vitamin E, or alpha-tocopheryl succinate, has been shown to be effective against some breast cancer. It has “already shown promise as a potent anticancer agent in diseases such as colon cancer and mesothelioma. It induces controlled cell death or apoptosis in tumour cells." And it has “the potential to be an inexpensive, safe and selective therapy for hard-to-treat breast cancers.” Wow, that is interesting. I need to reconsider this vitamin. . . .

Is cutting down gradually the best way to quit smoking? I know it worked for me. I quit smoking in 1984. It took me about two years, beginning in 1982, but by gradually cutting down I learned how to control my smoking and my urges to the point that I was finally able to stop altogether. And that’s really what it’s all about – learning to deal with stress in ways other than by reaching for a cigarette.

If your child gets sick, should you “feed a fever and starve a cold?” Here is the answer to that and six other health myths for children. BTW, the answer to that is no, a sick person needs nutrients and liquids.

Car seats can be dangerous for infants. The important thing, of course, is to keep your child breathing. Sometimes car seats make that difficult to accomplish.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home