The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Health Notes
Women who are diagnosed with breast cancer may not have to wait two years to get pregnant.

Is it true that radiation from breast cancer screening may cause cancer in some cases?
As I’ve mentioned before, women who are diagnosed with breast cancer may want to seek a second opinion. Here is an article that may be helpful.

Aspirin and other Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) (such as Advil) may be effective against the prostate condition benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). I personally would never take aspirin again. I really don’t want to get tinnitus. But has anyone bought a bottle of Ibuprofen recently? It has been awhile since I have. I picked up a bottle the other day and was surprised at all the warnings on the box. Three-fourths of the box was taken up with warnings and directions. I remember I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder about eighteen years ago. My doctor prescribed for me 800 mg of Ibuprofen, to be taken several times per day for a long time. That is equivalent to four Advil, Motrin, or generic Ibuprofen taken several times per day. There must have been some controversy about this recently that I missed. But now with all the warnings on the box, I’m reluctant to take even one tablet.

As far as prostate health goes, I wish I had gotten a second opinion, or even just considered other options, before I let my doctor give me a biopsy in 2000.

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) may help with weight loss.

The Mediterranean Diet may help against Alzheimer’s disease.

There was an article in the Raleigh News and Observer yesterday about the Hallelujah Diet. (I hope this link works for you. If not, the link below has all the information you need about this diet.) It sounds very interesting. Basically it is a vegan raw food diet that draws its authority from the book of Genesis. The founder of the diet, George H. Malkmus, who lives in Shelby, North Carolina and operates Hallelujah Acres, says he had a tumor that went away after he stopped eating processed food and started eating the same food that would have been available in the Garden of Eden. Religion aside, any diet that gets us away from the standard American diet is great. Since I am essentially vegan myself, I certainly have a lot of sympathy with the Hallelujah Diet. I wish more people would follow it. I personally find it difficult to not eat cooked food. The Hallelujah Diet, however, is supposed to be a healing diet. I think it may have a lot of validity. I wish Malkmus and his followers all the best.

Is there a link between heart disease and certain kinds of air pollution? (current issue of Particle and Fibre) I’m not sure this is real big news, although the study conducted on North Carolina State troopers was just recently released. It probably just confirmed what we already knew: yes, air pollutants can contribute to heart disease.

This is one reason why you want to try and remain healthy and not take medicine unless it is really necessary: people who stop taking the drug Heparin might develop blood clots several weeks after they stop taking it. Gosh, how awful!

If we don’t want to gain weight, we all must watch our caloric intake. That is especially true during the holidays.

And what is holiday heart syndrome? It is drinking too much alcohol during the holidays, which can cause an abnormal heart rhythm, including rapid, irregular heartbeat, prompting some people to end up in the emergency room of the hospital.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Note: links that look good today often are no longer good in the future. I make every effort to create good links. When I discuss a topic, I also attempt to provide enough pertinent information so that the reader won’t have to rely solely on the link at hand for their understanding, or for their further research.

BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    The only thing I take is aspirin and that is very rarely. It also just so happens that I am allergic to almost every prescription pain med which is what made managing the pain from my surgery so interesting.

    Was your BP under control when you got the tinnitus?

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said…

    I didn't get tinnitus. My wife did, and I don't know if her blood pressure was ok . . . maybe not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home