The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Looking forward to 2006
It’s never too early to think about the 2006 election, especially since it is less than a year away. I am very hopeful that the Democrats can control one house of Congress.

US Conservatives at About.com has an overview of the US Senate races. (Sorry I didn’t run across a liberal perspective, but this at least outlines the contests and gives some impression of the closeness of each race. Of course the reader can draw his or her own conclusions. There is the Cook Report, and Dean at Dean’s World also discusses 2006.) I cannot imagine our taking back the Senate outright, though we might make some gains that we could then build upon in 2008. I am particularly hopeful that Rick Santorum will go, although in some ways I’m just waiting for Joseph Lieberman to go over to the GOP, which would balance that out.

I don’t know if there are any hard, fast statistics on races for the US House of Representatives for 2006. The polling data I’ve seen suggest that the Democrats have like a ten point advantage over the Republicans. Can the Democrats hold onto that advantage? Will it translate into enough votes in key congressional precincts to change the party affiliation of the district? We need a net pickup of sixteen seats in order to take over the House of Representatives. I think it is definitely doable. That is one thing that will make 2006 an exciting year.

I believe that the American people think that the current administration in Washington is not accountable enough for its actions. One way to make them accountable is to elect a Congress that will hold them accountable. They have an opportunity in 2006 to make that happen.


Tags: , ,



Still available

The Tao of George W. Bush A perfect Christmas Gift

Also check out my other books: The Tao of Politics, The Tao of Red States and Blue States, The Tao of Love

2 Comments:

  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Tom said…

    I think the Democrats have a decent chance of holding the advantage, especially with the relevation of the domestic spying program and the media's love affair with it. The investigation demanded by a bipartisan group of Senators should further the Democrats' success as long as they provide an alternative.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Sar said…

    Happy Holidays, Tao! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home