The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Saying something doesn’t make it true
The Republicans continually say that Iraq is the central front in the war on terror. They repeat it like a mantra, or as a stock answer when they don’t know what else to say, a talking point. They all say it, Karen Hughes on Hardball last night, Elizabeth Dole in a recent opinion piece (Raleigh News and Observer, Dec. 11), Ken Mehlman countless times, everyone. But saying it doesn’t make it true.

If America thinks she is dictating the central front in the war on terror, she is badly mistaken. The terrorists are dictating it, in London, Madrid, Bali, New York. Terror has no front. If America thinks it does, she is being sadly naïve. We're so used to thinking in terms of symmetrical warfare, but this is a different kind of war. All the terrorists have to do is slink back into the shadows, and the front shifts. Iraq is the central front in the war in Iraq, nothing more, nothing less. And I’m sorry, but I’m not buying what the Republicans are selling, which is their version of reality.

Tags: , , , , , ,



Still available

The Tao of George W. Bush A perfect Christmas Gift

Also check out my other books: The Tao of Politics, The Tao of Red States and Blue States, The Tao of Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home