The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Brain tumors from cellphones?
Does handedness really correlate to the side of the head people hold their cellphones? I'm right handed, but I hold my cellphone with my left hand. It makes sense to me. That leaves my right hand free to write things if I need to. But if you believe this study, most of the patients lied when reporting which side of the head they held their phones. So, let me get this straight: if you don’t believe the patients, then there is no link between brain tumors and cellphones; if you do believe the patients, then there is a link. Sorry, but this study doesn’t make me feel any better.

Dumb or Smart?
Forty-seven percent of people surveyed said they had little or no control over their risk of developing cancer. This flies in the face of the fact that some cancers like those of the lung, prostate, breast, and colon are preventable, at least to a degree. On the other hand, with all the poisons out there in the environment, it is no wonder that people might feel they had no control. When you read the obituaries, you see a lot of young people dying, and a lot of them are dying of cancers. And there’s not just one kind of cancer, either. There are lots of different kinds. I don’t think man, generally, is cancer-prone. So he must be getting sick from something. And I don’t think it is from Nature.

Bird flu in decline?
There was some speculation that bird flu was tapering off in Turkey. But don’t you think we may have to revise that notion since five new cases of H5N1 have been reported there?

Stealth Virus?
A British scientist suggests that we might be focusing on the wrong virus, and speculates that a virus from the H2 family, not the H5 family, might ultimately result in a pandemic. That may be true, but H5N1 is doing a lot of infecting and killing now. Until an H2 virus surfaces as a real, not a potential, threat, I think I’ll stick with H5N1.

Safe from bird flu?
I have always considered that the Atlantic Ocean would keep us safe from the bird flu which seems to be moving westward from Asia, through Turkey, and into Europe on its way probably to Great Britain. I forgot about Alaska. A lot of birds migrate from Asia to Alaska. So apparently we are not as safe as I thought.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home