The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, May 29, 2006

There is so much going on it is difficult to get my mind around it all. Afghanistan is turning into a hell hole, if it wasn’t one already. There have been reports that as many as 34 civilians were killed there recently, with a growing insurgency. (Yeah, this is Afghanistan, not Iraq.) Today there are riots in Kabul, with demonstrators shouting Death to America, after US forces apparently caused some huge traffic accident during rush hour, followed by small arms fire (check out the videotape) and more civilian deaths.

Republican Senator Chuck Hagel apparently said on Meet the Press “I think you could make a pretty strong case that things are worse off in the Middle East today than they were three years ago.” Ya think? (So what’s Hagel doing, positioning himself to run for president in 2008? He has apparently been critical of Bush before.)

Then I ran into this article by Tom Porteous, which says we are losing the Long War. I don’t really know Tom Porteous, and I don’t really want to pass along opinions from others that I can’t vouch for. But the article is interesting, and in some ways he’s not saying anything more than a lot of other people are saying.

Then there’s more on the riots in Kabul, and more deaths in Iraq. To top it all off, I didn’t know Tony Blair was a comedian. Maybe he can’t speak truth to power, but sometimes people blurt out the truth like Tony apparently did in a Georgetown speech when a cell phone rang in the audience. ” I hope that isn't the White House (calling to tell) me they don't agree with that,” he said. “They act very quickly, these guys.” Yeah, that’s funny, but scary as hell at the same time. Sometimes I get the feeling that Washington is turning into a hell hole, and guess who’s in charge. George War Bush.


, , , , , , , , , , ,


NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Thanks for the Tony Blair link, that was a great catch. This is the saddest Memorial Day I have had in a long time.

    When are we going to learn?

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Charlie said…

    I would like to see Chuck Hagel run for President in 2008. He has been critical of the Bush administration's foreign policy since the lead up to the Iraq war; this is merely the latest articulation of that disagreement.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home