The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I must say I am happy about all the controversy swirling around the Republicans these days, particularly the sex scandal and all the finger pointing over how the Bush administration acted (or didn’t act) to protect our country in the days before 9/11. I don’t think any of this will hurt the Democrats on November 7, and this country needs a new direction after 5+ years of Bush rule. Anything that would accomplish that is all right with me.

Wouldn’t it be funny if the Democrats won control of the House of Representatives by one seat, and if that seat was the one just vacated by Foley of Florida?

Oh, and the Republicans say that they need to educate the voters of Florida’s 16th district that a vote for Foley is now really a vote for Negron. Good luck with that. Some of these voters are the same folks who couldn’t figure out the butterfly ballot in 2000.

If the attempt by New York City to ban trans fats from its restaurants has the effect of focusing more attention on food safety generally, particularly pesticide residue, etc, then I say great. There is too much of a tendency in this country to say that if we eat something and don’t get sick right away, then the food is safe. The thing is, food might be making us sick by degrees, to the point that, for example, suddenly we wake up at the age of fifty with a lymphoma, and dead by fifty-five. This is one reason why I eat organic whenever possible. Food might not be causing all these cancers I hear reported on a daily basis, but why take a chance?

Here’s some potentially good news. Research shows that moderate alcohol consumption might actually reduce the risk of dying from prostate cancer. This is interesting. I had always heard that drinking beer increased unwanted prolactin, and therefore contributed to prostate problems. But then there is research suggesting that an ingredient in beer, xanthohumol, might actually protect against prostate cancer. Who knows? Stay tuned for more research.


Listen to my song, Get the Hell out of Iraq. (See lyrics here.)



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home