The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Health Notes
Inflammation in the body is an important concern. Rosehips (or rosehip extract) may help lower inflammation. And here is an article on other anti-inflammatories.

While we’re talking about anti-inflammatories, this article says olive oil may reduce the risk of cancer. It may be the monounsaturated fats in the olive oil that reduce oxidative damage done to cells – damage that could lead to cancer. I often eat a dish called Pasta Alia Olia, which is basically garlic sautéed in olive oil, served over linguine. I always thought it was healthy, but now I’m even more convinced.

I mentioned Ibuprofen recently. I talked about how there are so many warning labels on the box. Now the FDA says that a lot of painkillers are safe if taken as directed, but they are not always taken as directed, which is very dangerous (I don’t know if you saw the story on ABC News last night) so they want more extensive warning labels on more painkillers. Now I’m really afraid to take any anymore.

And speaking of painkillers, this article advises you not to take acetaminophen to combat a hangover, because it could harm the liver if mixed with alcohol. Now you see, I don’t understand that. Of course you’re not going to take acetaminophen with a glass of wine, but you mean you should also not take one the next morning, after you haven’t had any alcohol for like eight hours? That seems bizarre to say the least. I need further clarification on that.

The residents of this town in Italy, Stocarreddo, eat anything they want, with little or no apparent ill effects, while heart attack and stroke are the first and third leading causes of death in the state of Tennessee. Of course it’s not fair, but it’s all genetics, I guess. If we could figure out what makes those Italians so healthy, maybe we could help the people of Tennessee and elsewhere. That’s one thing we should be trying to do.

Everybody’s probably heard about this by now, but vitamin D may reduce your risk of getting Multiple Sclerosis. Great!

I guess we should all think twice before beginning a fast. Here is an article with more information and discussion on fasting. I don’t really fast, but sometimes I devote a day, perhaps Sunday, to eating a lot of soluble fiber, like that found in oatmeal and bananas. Also I often try to limit my calories. And speaking of oatmeal, this opinion article touts the benefits of oat cereal. (It may lower LDL cholesterol levels and prevent heart attacks.)

For those who are trying to stop drinking alcohol, nutrition may play a part in that process. Some doctors recommend a diet of fish, high cholesterol food, and vitamins to help kick the habit.

Here’s an article that says reducing the intake of sugar-sweetened beverages during childhood may lessen the risk of getting conditions like diabetes and heart disease in later life. Maybe somebody should feed these kids a dish of Pasta Alia Olia.


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Note: links that look good today often are no longer good in the future. I make every effort to create good links. When I discuss a topic, I also attempt to provide enough pertinent information so that readers won’t have to rely solely on the link at hand for their understanding, or for their further research.


BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    Tylenol is very toxic to the liver and mixed with alcohol it has been known to cause liver failure. It takes some people longer than 8 hours to break down alcohol in the liver and the more you had, the longer it takes.

    Some children have been known to experience liver failure from taking the recommended dose for 24 hours. You may avoid aspirin, I avoid tylenol like the plague.

    I can't believe that the captcha is a dirty word this time and resembles how I feel about certain situations. Seriously "gfuck"? LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home