The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Social Insecurity

I guess we’re still talking about Social Security. George W. Bush is still talking about personal accounts, and the Democrats say we should address solvency issues and forget about personal accounts.

I know people on Social Security. It is a really good deal. Some people get like $1200 per month, guaranteed for life. That is good. You would need something like $300,000 in a personal account to get that kind of return, and it might not be guaranteed. And how many people are going to amass that kind of money in a personal account? You'd have to save $10,000 a year for 30 years to get that kind of nest egg. Who is going to do that?

I’m with the Democrats on this: solve the issues of solvency and leave Social Security alone. The more the President talks, the more it becomes Social Insecurity.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are lots of other benefits to social security, including survivors benefits to minors, etc. Keep SS the way it is, just fix it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home