The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Cynic's Corner

Is the Iraqi political process tied closely to the American political process? The United States is pressuring Iraq to stick to its timetable for finishing its constitution and holding elections. If all goes as planned, there may be major changes in Iraq (troop withdrawals, etc.) just in time for the 2006 mid-term elections in this country. Is this a coincidence? I doubt it. There may not be an exit strategy, but I daresay there is a political strategy for Iraq, because politics is what the Bush White House excels at.

If this view is correct, will the strategy work? Will the President increase his poll numbers? Will Americans alter their assessment of the situation in Iraq? Will the Republicans hold onto power in the mid-term elections?

Several things are clear. We will still be at war this time next year. Unhappily, the killings probably will not stop. Worldwide terrorism probably will not stop. A hastily-written, possibly flawed Iraqi constitution may lead to civil war. What’s to feel good about?

I have a feeling that whatever happens in Iraq over the next year will be too little too late: too little to make a difference in the public’s fatigue with war, and too late to help the Republicans consolidate their power in Congress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home