The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Cut the Fat

There are two items in the news this morning that are of particular interest to me. First, Dr. Dean Ornish is publishing a study that suggests that a low-fat diet can help fight prostate cancer. (See article) We all want to do that, don’t we? I have thought for a long time that diet (low fat, low cholesterol) can contribute to good prostate health. It is encouraging to see Dr. Ornish come out with this study. He is a doctor whom I greatly respect.

The other article of interest says that the city of New York wants to eliminate trans fats from its restaurants. (See article) Trans fats are insidious little things. They raise bad cholesterol (LDL) and lower good cholesterol (HDL). I think they have a negative effect on prostate health. And what about cholesterol, fat and breast cancer? Didn’t I read something about that? Anyway, trans fats definitely have a negative impact on heart health. New Yorkers are already living longer (see article) and good choices in their diets, such as eliminating trans fats, should help them live even longer.

For those of you who may want to see how your state stacks up against the healthiest states, go here. Those of you who live in a Southern Red State (as I do) might really be surprised (or not.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home