The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Limitations

Over at Orwell’s Grave today, Stephen McArthur discusses President Bush’s quip to Kofi Annan about John Bolton: "Has the place blown up since he's been here?"

I think a lot of Bush's quips have to do with ignorance. Often he just doesn't know what is appropriate to say. For example, just after 9/11 he called the war on terrorism a "crusade." That was a bad choice of words.

Thing is, I have stopped expecting better from this President. Even in the midst of a crisis, when you would expect that he had been briefed extensively, that he had read background papers, and that he would have discussed the situation at length, it often still seems that he hasn’t mastered the material.

No one is immune from making stupid comments or quips, but I’m afraid we’re going to have to wait three more years before we can get a person in the White House who will issue more than talking points and platitudes, and who will make intelligent, insightful comments a majority of the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home