The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Questioning the News
The environment is damaging our health? This may not be news to most people, but this report from the World Health Organization gives an overview of what some of our health problems are and what their causes are. With that kind of information we might be able to work toward solutions, if we have an administration in Washington that is so inclined.


Would the Bush administration misrepresent flu statistics in order to help the drug companies? No way. You think?

Most hospitals don’t follow good hygiene practices? Wow, I know that some of the places I used to eat didn’t score 100% on their health inspections, but hospitals? That’s mind boggling. You might want to stay home if you can. I try to stay out of drug stores. The way I look at is, there are a lot of sick people who go to drug stores, and the less time spent there the better.

Kellogg is reducing trans fats in some of its products? When is it going to get rid of all trans fats? If Kellogg wants me to eat their food, they should get rid of all trans fats. I don’t eat anything with hydrogenated oil. Also, regarding labeling, one thing that irritates me is that a product in the grocery store can list hydrogenated oil as one of its ingredients, and yet still say that it contains 0% trans fats per serving. That is misleading, and you really have to be alert and determined if you want to avoid hydrogenated oil.

Life expectancy in the United States hits all-time high? That may be true, but there is a table accompanying this article that suggests that life expectancy in this country is greater than in Japan, and I think that is just bull. Life expectancy in Japan exceeds that in the US by several years.


Technorati tags: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home