The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Need More Reasons to Lose Weight?
Men treated for prostate cancer are more likely to have their cancer recur if they are obese.

Poor eating habits may contribute to increased risk of breast cancer. You know, I love that sentence: of course the phrase “may contribute” also means “may not contribute;” and also of course, the majority of people probably go with the latter interpretation. But it seems to me that if something “may contribute” to your death, wouldn’t you want to avoid it just to be on the safe side? The people who make the other choice are just being stupid, and I lump myself in that category. I used to smoke and eat nothing but fast food, and those were stupid things to do. I still don’t eat as well as I should all the time. The pressure to go off one’s diet is intense, but at least I try to make smart choices more often than I make stupid choices. Being informed helps. If you don’t know that hydrogenated oil is bad for you, for example, it’s real easy to eat a lot of hydrogenated oil. I used to, but I don’t anymore. And constant vigilance helps. Food that is bad for you is everywhere. It takes a lot of work to avoid all that food. And of course it takes a willingness to avoid it as well.

Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home