The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Another way for Hillary?
There is one way that Hillary might be elected in 2008 that I hadn’t thought of before. If a strong third party candidate would run also, and siphon off, say, a bunch of conservative votes, like Ross Perot did in 1992 and 1996, then maybe that would push enough electoral votes into her column from red states for her to win the election? That, to a degree, is what happened for her husband twice. Of course all this is another huge maybe. Hillary Clinton, however, excites so much hatred from the vast right wing that I doubt even this scenario would work.

Applauding Al Gore
Al Gore still seems to me to be the best choice for our next president. He has it all. He received the most votes in 2000. He didn’t vote for the Iraq War. He could say something like, “Eight years ago you elected George W. Bush president. I abided by that decision then. Now I would like to tell you how your lives would be different if you had elected me instead. First, we wouldn’t be bogged down in such an expensive hell hole as Iraq. More than two thousand of the bravest soldiers on the planet would not have lost their lives, nor would many thousands more be maimed for life. My first act as president, if I am elected, will be to bring our troops home. (applause) Next, we wouldn’t have spent our children’s future. If I am elected president we will bring balanced budgets back to Washington. (applause)”

I can’t write the whole speech. Other people could and would do that. But you get the drift. I don’t know if electing Al Gore would heal the nation, but at a time when the majority of Americans believe we are on the wrong track, it definitely would be a change, one that I would gladly welcome.

Tags: , , , , , ,

COMING SOON

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree, Al Gore is the next best option for a presidential hopeful. And after the horribly screwed up election that resulted in the current administration I would surely hope that those who could have, but didn't, vote would come out for the next one. Let's hope. Nice blog, I'll be visiting often.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home