The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Tao of Bird Flu I
Bird flu, avian influenza, H5N1 – they all sound ominous. Pandemic sounds worse.

Bird Flu News
All the buzz today seems to be on a genetically modified vaccine that has so far proven to be effective against various strains of bird flu (in mice.) In reading the description of the vaccine and its performance, it all sounds good. Forgive me, however, if I reserve the right to be a little skeptical. The vaccine has yet to undergo clinical trials, and we don’t yet know how it will act in humans. Also, I’m a little dubious when it comes to genetic engineering anyway. I prefer to take a wait and see attitude. So, on the surface of it the new vaccine sounds like good news. Let us hope it proves to be just that.

Would you believe . . .
. . . we need to watch our consumption of omega-6 fatty acids? In one study they caused prostate cancer cells to grow twice as fast as they normally do. So I guess we can chalk another one up for the American diet, and not in a good way.

. . . late night eating does not lead to weight gain? Good. Now I don’t feel bad about that sandwich I had last night.

. . . some people actually contend that claims of an obesity epidemic are exaggerated? Have they been to the food court at the mall lately?

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,


COMING SOON

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home