The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Some people are reporting that red wine increases life span. Now that may be true, but it is not the conclusion reached by the recent research into the subject. Here’s what researchers did, and their conclusion: they gave resveratrol to a bunch of obese mice. They found that the resveratrol seemed to negate the effects of the obesity. Therefore the obese mice did not develop diseases associated with their condition, nor did they die early, as obese mice usually do. They died at about the same rate as those who were not obese. Thing is, you can accomplish the same result by just losing weight. Then the glass or two of wine might actually make you live longer.

Milk thistle, also known as silymarin, may help diabetics control their blood sugar.

It seems that heart disease is still the nation’s number one killer, and it’s an important thing to think about. I think about it all the time. I watch my diet and try to eat things that are heart healthy. But cancer is still a big threat. Thing is elevated cholesterol has been linked to some cancers, so if you watch your heart health, you are also doing something to battle cancer.

While I’m on that subject, eating fatty fish like salmon, herring, and mackerel may protect against prostate cancer. You can also take fish oil.

And for those who are overweight, hoodia is said to help with weight loss.


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home