The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Health Notes
Low testosterone in men is a risk factor for developing Alzheimer’s disease. Testosterone therapy might one day prevent that problem.

Men who take anti-cholesterol statin drugs may be less likely to develop advanced prostate cancer.

Here is an article on breast cancer and predicting the likelihood of its recurrence.

Also regarding breast cancer, sometimes you don’t know what to believe. Sometimes people say not to worry about fat in the diet, for older women, that is. (Here is an assortment of articles.) Now an article in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute says a low fat diet may prevent recurrence of breast cancer. I remember the earlier study. There were flaws in it as I recall. I would definitely go with this most recent one.

One day they say eating a low protein diet may prevent cancer. Now this study from Harvard Medical School says a high protein diet may be good for the heart. But this is not just any high protein diet. It is one that doesn’t include a lot of meat, but does include lots of nuts, beans, and whole grain cereals. The latter approach is similar to what I eat. Don’t forget the fruits and vegetables.

Cromolyn, an asthma medication, might be effective against pancreatic cancer.

Here is an article on aging, brain exercises, and mental acuity. There is a box on the right side of this page titled “Mental Aerobics” which provides exercises with pictures, lists, and words. What I’d like to know is this: do all these exercises have to be puzzles? I mean puzzles are ok, but what if a person remains mentally active every day, learning new things, thinking about new concepts, etc? Wouldn’t that serve the same purpose as puzzles? I guess it’s all good, but I think we need to stress the importance of remaining mentally active, with or without puzzles. But hey, what do I know?

Here is an article on the flexibility of the adult human brain. And here is an article on why the teenaged brain may sometimes be so chaotic.

Apparently the herbal supplement black cohosh may not relieve the hot flashes of menopause.

Can antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals boost our immune systems and help us fight the flu?

In 2004 Senator Tom Harkin, Democrat of Iowa, said "the marketing of junk food, especially to kids, is out of control.'' Now that he will be chairman of the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee, he may be in a position to do something about that problem.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Note: links that look good today often are no longer good in the future. I make every effort to create good links. When I discuss a topic, I also attempt to provide enough pertinent information so that readers won’t have to rely solely on the link at hand for their understanding, or for their further research.


BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home