The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Bin Laden vs. The West

I was reading an article today in the Raleigh News and Observer about Professor Bruce Lawrence of Duke University who is compiling and publishing the speeches of Osama bin Laden. The book, due out in the fall, will be titled Messages to the World: The Statements of Osama bin Laden.

There was an interesting statement in the article. Bin Laden says, “There can be no dialogue with occupiers except through arms.” So here you have a classic example of yin/yang: bin Laden determined to force the West from Muslim lands through the use of arms, bombs, terror, etc., and the West determined to remain in Muslim lands.

That seems like a problem without a solution, especially since none of the involved parties seem inclined to work toward a solution. However, I am sure there will be an end to all this strife eventually, just like most things, but the end is not in sight, the result is not predictable, and there will be a lot of suffering and dying along the way. It makes me sick, not only for today, but also for the future. God help us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home