The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Iraqi Constitution

James L. Tyson wrote an article in 1996 to the effect that imposing American-style Democracy in Third-World countries may be harmful. To read a fuller version of this article click here.

The gist of the article is that when a country has several large ethnic groups, with different languages and different cultures, sometimes the American model doesn't work very well. The author offers the Swiss model of government as an alternative. Switzerland has French, Italian, Swiss and German populations, yet they all seem to live in peace and relative harmony. The author suggests that countries like Iraq, with its Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds, may work better also with a Swiss-style government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home