The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Health Notes
State health officials have a good point: how can we deal with a possible bird flu pandemic when we “already (have) trouble vaccinating the public against the regular flu?” I think this is just one more example of how wrong our priorities are in this country: we can fight a useless, pre-emptive war of choice, but we can’t vaccinate our citizens. Yes, something is dreadfully wrong here, and we’d better get it right before it’s too late.

Wonder what a pandemic would be like? Looks to me like the number of cases would increase, if not exponentially, then at least geometrically. Anyway, that’s what authorities are planning for. Also, here are more projections: worst case scenarios say two million dead in the US, 40% of workers out sick at one time, etc. Well, that’s why they call it a pandemic.

Seventy-five percent of the Japanese said they did not want to eat US beef when it becomes available again after a two-year ban due to Mad Cow Disease. The Japanese, among the healthiest and longest living people in the world, are also said to be among the smartest.

Now they tell me: it seems that a lidocaine suppository is more effective in reducing pain during prostate biopsies than lidocaine gel alone. I have a feeling, though, that it’s still no picnic. A prostate biopsy is an unpleasant ordeal, and doctors need to find or develop better ways to diagnose prostate cancer.

Check out updated news on Bird Flu


Tags: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home