The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, December 05, 2005

You can’t be serious
I love the caption on the photo in this story: “Tom Keane says United States needs to repair its image in the world.” So, wait a minute, let me get this straight, our image abroad matters? When did our image abroad start to matter? Certainly not under the present administration.

But hold on. I find myself in the position that a lot of liberals find themselves in: when something absurd happens in the news we feel compelled to make a list of all the wrongs of the current administration, and you know, in some ways none of that matters, because the American people voted for him anyway, even with all this evidence staring them in the face.

But I still can’t resist making the list: it starts with Kyoto, continues with our bashing of the French, disdain for the inspection process for WMDs, coalition of the willing, preemptive war in Iraq, and all the while the world thought we were a bunch of jerks, because we were acting like a bunch of jerks. And our solution to all that has been to try and polish our image by propaganda instead of to stop acting like jerks.

So now a distinguished gentleman says we need to repair our image in the world? Well, how are we going to do that? And when are we going to start?

Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home