The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Tao of Bird Flu
3. We all desire a world free from the threat of bird flu. That may mean a world free of birds, an unpleasant prospect.

Omega-6 followup
As I mentioned Thursday, omega-6 fatty acids have been found to promote the growth of prostate tumors. Apparently, Americans consume a lot of omega-6 fatty acids. They are most prevalent in the oils we use: corn, soybean, canola, safflower, and sunflower. In fact, if you go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of vegetable oil, there is a huge chance you are getting soybean oil. Read the label sometime. I use olive oil exclusively. Some people complain that they don’t like the taste of olive oil all the time. I could not imagine cooking pancakes in olive oil, for example. Of course eating pancakes, with all the oil they contain, is definitely not your best dietary choice for breakfast. On the other hand, it’s not your worst choice.

We consume way too much omega-6 in this country, so what are we to do about that? Omega-6 is an essential fatty acid, which means that we need it for good health; we just don’t need so much of it. Since it is probably in most processed food, we probably need to avoid most processed food. That means we need to do more cooking for ourselves. At least that way we can control, to a greater degree, what’s in the food we eat.

I don’t have all the answers on this. I’m still doing research. I suggest that everyone do their own research. I already avoid trans fats as much as possible. With the new revelations about the connection between omega-6 and tumor growth, this just becomes one more thing to avoid.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

COMING SOON

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home