The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, March 03, 2006

The Tao of Bird Flu
30. Only scientists and doctors can save us from bird flu, but not without effective medication, and lots of it.

Political Notes
So, the insurgency is in its last throes, and Iraq is making progress. Well, I’m glad that’s settled.


I wonder, when sea levels rise by twenty feet or more, will President Bush, or whoever’s in his office at the time say, “No one could have predicted such a rise in sea level”?


It seems to me that abortion is undergoing a lot of pressure right now. A new town in Florida would restrict the procedure, and South Dakota is apparently trying to ban it altogether. I personally don’t have a problem with all that, although I realize that some people do, and I respect that position. In any event, some of these developments should spark interesting Supreme Court cases in the future.


Bird Flu Update
The news on bird flu is not good. Here is a summary and discussion from News Target. Thing is, bird flu is still mainly bird flu. Even if it were to make its way to the United States, the impact on humans would likely be more economic than medical. All we have to do is watch what is happening with the rest of the world where bird flu has been appearing. In some places they have had human infections and deaths. These are mainly in Southeast Asia, most notably Indonesia. In the rest of the world, India, Africa, Europe, we have a lot of sick and dead birds, but very few if any human illnesses. The main thing we see is the banning of chicken in certain countries, which affects certain food industries, and also the economy. If bird flu hit the United States, I would expect the same sort of things to happen here: significant impact on food industries, and on the economy. What about a human pandemic? At this point I would say the probability of that happening is still rather low.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

NOW AVAILABLE

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home