The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A lot of people are bitching and moaning today about all the money lost to fraud after Hurricane Katrina. Yes, it is a lot of money, and someone should have monitored it better. But I would be more inclined to listen to the complainers if they were equally (or more) incensed about tax cuts for the rich, ballooning deficits, all the money poured into a needless war in Iraq, etc. A billion dollars, as bad as that is, pales in comparison when you’re talking about a trillion dollars.

Speaking of storms, I was wondering why it was so dark and rainy here today. Then I realized these are the remnants of Alberto passing through. Well, we need the rain.

Did you know that houses in Naples, Florida are selling for more than double their actual value?

Did you know that people in many areas of the world are exposed to the odor of feces on a regular basis?

Contrary to news reports, two soccer fans were not killed because they were cheering too much. They were killed because some maniac had a gun and couldn’t control himself.

Doctors think that obesity could be explained by a lack of proper bacteria in the intestines? Listen. I’m not a fat person, but occasionally I have gained a little too much weight. I have lost a significant amount of weight three times. Two of those times I merely stopped eating peanuts or peanut butter. (Exercising a little more than usual doesn’t hurt, but I don’t believe you can exercise your way to significant weight loss. At least I can’t. I don’t have enough time for that, and I don’t have enough energy. Recently I have started counting calories, which seems to help.) The other time I lost my extra weight by going on a low fat diet, à la Dean Ornish. If you eat fat, you will be fat. It’s as simple as that. If you limit your fat intake, limit your calories, and exercise every day (I like to walk. It’s meditative.) you will lose weight.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,
    I found you by doing a search on Katrina. I agree with your post about people complaining over the misuse of funds but not tax cuts. I am actually concerned that we aren't talking more about the people who were affected. I hardly ever see any information about recovery stories, how the people are doing, etc. The money is important, but people are more important.

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said…

    I agree, the people are important, but the Bush administration seems to think that the corporations are more important.

    Debs Web has some interesting thoughts:
    http://debsquirkyweb.blogspot.com

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the link! - I checked out her page. Don't get me wrong, they do need to be accountable. But, I think that sometimes it seems that we are so busy trying to "get to the bottom" of the corruption and mistakes that it just seems like the people have been forgotten. Plus, string me up for it, but I want to hear some victories that have come from the ruin - I posted this on Deb's site, but I highly recommend reading "Through the Eye of the Storm" by Cholene Espinoza. I truly wish that her type of spirit was part of the "politicians". She just went down and did what she thought needed to be done - no questions asked. Just saw a need and tried to fill it.

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    The bit about the proper bacteria in the gut goes along with my theory about yogurt. I used the russian/bulgarian type (more tangy than creamy) while I was losing weight. I ate it by the spoonful, used it for sauces at the end (no cooking), I put fruit in it for dessert and I lost weight. Specifically in my abdomen.

    Blacks and Asians are typically lactose intolerant and loot at where we carry our fat. In the abdomen. The active cultures in yogurt do help the intestines regulate themselves. You of course have to compensate for the calories but you are also getting Vit. D, which is being shown to have protective effects against colon and skin cancers.

    Walking is extremely good for you and if you do it early in the morning without sunglasses it can help to regulate depression and seasonal affective disorder besides being a weight bearing exercise to help prevent osteoporosis.

    Thanks for the recommendation, I'm in avoidance mode this week, the news is irritating me. I'm only posting something that really gets me up in arms.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said…

    Yeah, I was doing yogurt recently, but then I decided I'd rather eat bananas instead. Bananas have the soluble fiber I want. Calories are a factor for me now. I like yogurt, and most milk products. A long time ago I had stomach ulcers and gained a lot of weight drinking milk to help with that. Fortunately I lost most of that weight when I stopped drinking the milk. I tend to be a recreational eater, in that I watch Everybody Loves Raymond, eat snack food, and laugh. I've had to limit my snacking, and choose healthier snacks, but I've lost five or six pounds recently, mainly from cutting out, or cutting back on peanuts. I still eat yogurt when I feel like it. And I eat some cheese on my pasta. I liked what you said on your blog about butter not being a major food group. Anyway, here's to healthier, responsible nutrition.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home