The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

I have a pet peeve about fast food portion sizes. The most glaring or recent example of this relates to soft drinks. Wendy’s has recently changed the names of some of its soft drink sizes. (Note: I don’t drink this stuff myself, but I buy a lot of it, mostly for my son and his friends.) Today if you order a small Coke at Wendy’s, you get what used to be a large sized drink or a medium at best. In my experience, if I get a large sized drink, I end up throwing a large part of it away, or the ice melts, making it undrinkable. So it is not economical for me to get, say, 32 ounces of Coke, or whatever it is. I really don’t care if millions of consumers out there like drinking a quart or so of Coke at a time. I don’t care if they are so uninformed or undisciplined that they get obese. (I do care, but what am I going to do?) What I do care about is this: when I order something in a restaurant, and pay for it, I want to get what I order. If I order a small Coke, I want to get a small Coke, not a large Coke that is called a small Coke. If I order a quarter-pounder and a small Coke, for example, I want it to cost less than the same two items plus French fries. I know. I read Fast Food Nation. I know why they’re doing all this. It’s all about profits, what else? But it really pisses me off. By the way, this has not just started for me. I remember in the late 1970s when the University snack bar changed the size of a small soft drink, making it bigger, and costing more. I didn’t like it then, and I don’t like it now. I may be a liberal in a lot of things, but I am a conservative in a lot of things too. And I don’t like these kinds of changes. If they were improvements it might be different. For example, if you got a medium for the same price as a small. But these changes are not designed to benefit the consumer. They are designed to benefit the corporations. All they do is piss me off.


This guy wants journalists to stop reporting public relations items and calling them news. I agree. I hate when Ken Mehlman, for example, appears on Hardball. All he does is repeat talking points. I’ve mentioned this before. Instead of an honest discussion with the American people, TV appearances often become just so much more propaganda. This really pisses me off too. I don’t watch it.

, , , , ,



NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    I totally agree. I hate paying for stuff I'm not going to use or eat. It is why I object to buying larger size clothes and then having them tailored to fit. Why? I have to pay twice. I would rather go naked and will be there shortly because I am running out of clothes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home