The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The article by James Carville and Mark J. Penn about Hillary Clinton’s ability to win the presidency in 2008 has some very powerful arguments put forth powerfully, but I don’t think I am persuaded. I had a dream last night in which John Kerry ran for president again, and lost again. And so I asked myself, who in the Red States is going to vote for John Kerry that didn’t vote for him the first time? Sure, plenty of people in the Blue States might, but that doesn’t count. You’ve got to win electoral votes. The same question is valid for Hillary: who in the Red States is going to vote for her instead of, say, John McCain? Carville and Penn say that women would be excited about a Hillary candidacy. In the Red States? Which ones? Is Mary Matalin going to vote for Hillary? I’ve said this many times and I’ll say it again: Hillary needs to carry at least one Red State (although it’s by no means certain that she could carry all the Blue States.) The most likely Red State may be Florida. Hillary has spent some time there recently. If she runs for president (IF???) she would need to visit Florida a lot. I don’t have anything against Hillary Clinton. If she is the 2008 nominee, I sincerely hope like hell that she is elected. I just have my doubts. But Carville and Penn are doing a good job as Democratic strategists. Maybe this is all part of the plan to elect Clinton in 2008.

I still say that if I can live long enough doctors and scientists might find a cure for almost everything. Now there is a new drug which is supposed to be a “molecular assassin” and which can target various diseases, including heart disease, cancer, etc. That’s enough to make an older person feel optimistic about the future.

This article is enough to scare you into not drinking and driving: they say that if you drink, you actually might not see something that comes suddenly into your line of sight, such as a vehicle, or a pedestrian. That’s a very scary idea.

According to recent research, alcohol may actually damage the brains of young people.

When I first read this morning about the effect of Tylenol on the liver, I was a little scared. Now I realize that we’re talking about taking the maximum dose of acetaminophen for two weeks, so I feel better. I’ve never taken Tylenol for two weeks, and I certainly don’t plan to now, especially after reading this article.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Tylenol is dangerous, don't be fooled by the two week study. Kids have been known to have liver failure in as little as three days when they are sick and take tylenol. It is extremely easy to overdose since people weigh different amounts and as you age your liver and kidneys no longer work as efficiently, thereby increasing the toxicity.

    Much more dangerous than people know. If you take tylenol as your pain reliever for many years, it reduces the filtration of the kidney by a frightening percentage.

    Take aspirin if needed for pain, and not every four hours. We seem to think that every little ache should be removed instead of finding something that distracts us and enables us to live our lives without meds.

    The ancestors did hard labor, we are a very pampered society and this is not a good thing.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said…

    I try not to take anything, but sometimes when I have a headache I take a couple of Tylenol. I used to take aspirin. Aspirin can cause tinnitus. While I believe I could probably deal with tinnitus if I were unlucky enough to get it, my wife got it and ended up killing herself.

    Your points about Tylenol, however, are well taken. I certainly will be more wary of it in the future.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Raggedy said…

    Good stuff here Ed!
    *^_^
    (=':'=) meow hugs
    (")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one
    *

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    I'm sorry about your wife, but remember that everyone is different, which is something that western medicine forgets. For some odd reason that I don't personally understand, women seem to take more OTC pain relievers than men. When I was younger (late teens/early twenties) I always had a headache.

    Now, not so much. Very weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home