The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Bob Dylan Things have changed (Oscars 3-25-01)

I remember watching this live on March 25, 2001. What a marvelous performance. And what a marvelous event, to perform a song on live TV, and then moments later to be awarded an Oscar for that song. Dylan is great. And sometimes I think he is a prophet. Yes, things have changed. I think back to that time, before 9/11. It was a different world. But one exception I would take to this song is that, yes things have changed, but I still do care because I am essentially an optimist. Even with all the bad things that have happened in our lives during the past five years, I still think things can get better. See, maybe things have changed, but we can also actively change things ourselves, and that’s what makes me optimistic. Of course like the joke about how many psychiatrists it takes to change a light bulb, first we have to really want to change. The past few elections haven’t made me too optimistic on that score, but the one coming up does because I think the American people have finally had enough and they are ready for a big change. So maybe we can play this song again on November 8. And maybe then we will once again be able to say Things Have Changed!


, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Jude Cowell said…

    Hey thanks for posting this, ED!

    I had a ticket to see Dylan in his heyday--the 60s--but my parents refused to let me go! :>(

    Then I saw a Dylan concert in the early 90s, I think, and let's say he was not engaged. He rushed through the old songs to their detriment. But he IS a prophet who denies it--a good way to recognize one!

    IMPEACH DAY Sept 1, 2006

     

Post a Comment

<< Home