The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I’m a Southern Democrat and I like NASCAR. OK, I’m not a fanatic like some people, but I think it is possible to be a NASCAR dad and not be a cheerleader at the same time for large corporations, etc. In short, maybe it is possible to educate NASCAR dads. Of course I could be wrong. You know, I have thought about things like this a lot. It reminds me of the US Civil War. It seems to me that Southern men in the 19th century went off to fight and die for two things: the large plantation owners and slavery. Today’s Southern men are voting for basically two things: the large corporations and social injustice. Do you see the parallel? So that’s the problem. What’s the solution? I need to do a lot more thinking about that. In some ways Southern men are like dogs: they are willing to lick your hand if at some point you will throw them a bone. The political bones valued by many Southern men are hot button issues like gay marriage. That’s too bad. Most of these issues don’t affect Southern men in any way, whereas tax cuts for the rich do. It baffles me why these guys are such fervent defenders of a system that does not give back to them the same measure of support. I’m sure that there is something in all this that relates to following orders, not questioning authority, doing what daddy says without question. It is just mind boggling that there are people in this country who refuse to evolve.


While we’re on the subject above, it looks like obesity is a growing problem, particularly in the South. These people refuse to evolve and eat a more healthy diet. It’s mind boggling. Plato said that people will act in their best interest if they know what that is. Boy, how naïve was he? The American people prove him wrong every day. (You can check your own state’s rate of obesity here.)


It’s funny: I believe President George War Bush when he says he’s going to stay in Iraq until the job is finished, but I don’t believe him when he says he’s going to stay in New Orleans until that job is finished. Or at least I don’t believe he approaches the latter situation with anywhere near the urgency that he does the former, and that is too bad, because we’re talking about shortchanging our own citizens here, and that is wrong.


Listen to my new song, Get the Hell out of Iraq. (See lyrics here.)


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a Southerner by birth myself, but I find little joy in NASCAR. I find no joy at all in Country "music," and I definitely don't find much redeeming in the politics anymore.

    I guess I really can't go home again.

     
  • At 2:31 AM, Blogger RightDemocrat said…

    Most Democrats simply have not found an effective way to reach the NASCAR fan vote. There is a lot of discontent with the Republican Party but it does not necessarily transfer over to Democratic support. Until we can find a way to narrow the red-blue divide on social issues, voters in the South and other places are going to continue to vote against their economic interests.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home