The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I was tagged by Deb’s Web to do a book meme, so here goes:

A book that changed my life
When I was a teenager I read The Prophet, by Khalil Gibran and The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. I probably wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing now if I hadn’t read those two books. Of course I used to read Compton’s Encyclopedia when there was no one in the neighborhood to play with. That helped immeasurably later when I got a job in the Reference department of the University library. More recently, If You Want to Write, by Brenda Ueland taught me how to use my imagination while writing. And of course The Tao Te Ching has proved invaluable.

A book I’ve read more than once

The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, The Foundation Trilogy, Dune, Crime and Punishment

A book I would take with me if I was stuck on a desert island

The complete works of Shakespeare

A book that made me laugh

All Creatures Great and Small is really hilarious. I would lie in bed at night and laugh almost as much as I laugh when I watch Everybody Loves Raymond.

A book that made me cry

I can’t remember reading a book that made me cry, although I was reading something very sad last night which I’ll touch on below. Maybe I cried for The Time Traveler’s Wife.

A book I wish had been written

How to stop your wife from killing herself

A book I wish had never been written

Mein Kampf

A book I’ve been meaning to read

Something new by either Michael Connelly or James Lee Burke

I am currently reading

All Things Bright and Beautiful, the second book in the series by James Herriot. I wasn’t going to read it, but I found a copy on the free book shelf at a nearby bookstore, and I loved his first book (also free). Last night, chapter 12 was particularly poignant, and the next chapter is a continuation, so I can’t wait to continue reading tonight.

Now I’d like to tag these five blogs:

Stars over Washington

The Little Things

It’s a Raggedy Life (I'm hoping that Raggedy feels better real soon.)

Belle of the Brawl




love, , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home