The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Health Notes
I suppose no one knows whether or not fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids help fight depression, but in some ways I feel like that is putting the horse after the cart, so to speak. I personally believe it is possible that taking fish oil in the first place contributes to better health and may help keep a person from getting depressed. Once a person becomes depressed it may not always be easy to become undepressed. Of course I can’t prove any of that, but here is an article on how omega-3s are becoming more prevalent in our food. I'm glad of that.

I’m not one for diet books all that much, but here are reviews of several that are available now. And speaking of diet books, the South Beach Diet folks have come out with a new book, The South Beach Heart Program. This article has information about that book, as well as an in-depth discussion of heart disease generally, the number one killer in the US. Hopefully it will open some eyes.

We’ve talked about this before, but here’s another article on seeking second opinions for medical procedures. Think about it. (And of course you can always Google second opinion to read more about it.)

When I had an ulcer a long time ago, I had to drink a lot of milk and I gained a lot of weight. Now there is this article linking full fat dairy products with lower weight gain. And it says, “only whole milk, and not low-fat milk, seemed to offer protection against weight gain.” Drinking milk PROTECTS against weight gain? Sounds counterintuitive to me. Of course, everyone has to make his or her own dietary decisions. If you think you need milk, then by all means drink it. But I just have a feeling that if I were to start drinking milk right now, that would completely blow my diet, and I would gain at least five pounds. Sorry, guys, I don’t Got Milk, and I’m glad of it.

Can one or two drinks a day lower one’s risk of heart attack? Maybe. Here is the abstract from Annals of Internal Medicine.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Note: links that look good today often are no longer good in the future. I make every effort to create good links. When I discuss a topic, I also attempt to provide enough pertinent information so that readers won’t have to rely solely on the link at hand for their understanding, or for their further research.


BUY MY BOOK

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home