The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, December 12, 2005

President Bush today, during his remarks in Philadelphia, said “by helping democracy succeed in Iraq, we bring greater security to our citizens here at home. The terrorists know that democracy is their enemy. And they will continue fighting freedom's progress with all the hateful determination they can muster.”

Now, I don’t want to nitpick, but I just wonder if these assumptions are true. I think the US was safer when Saddam was in power and did not tolerate having terrorist groups operating in his country. Also, democracy did not prevent the United States being hit by three massive acts of terrorism, one domestic (Oklahoma City), and two foreign (World Trade Center twice). In fact, the terrorists used the fact that we are an open society to mount their vicious attacks. So I’m sorry, I don’t buy the President’s assumptions. He’ll have to go back and think up some other reasons to justify this crazy war in Iraq.

Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home