The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Give War a Chance?
I saw a bumper sticker yesterday, “Give war a chance.” That seems to be the prevailing mood in this country, especially among Republicans, and I just don’t get it. It is amazing to me that at a time when there are no real armies to fight, and no real wars to win, except the ill begotten war in Iraq, the military budget rises to $439 billion. They’re spending all the money that could be used to help our poor and homeless.

The president has a duty to improve the lives of his citizens, or at least make sure they don’t get worse. George W. Bush has failed miserably in that regard, with five million more people living in poverty in 2004 than when he took office. And who among us believes that things have gotten better since 2004, what with Katrina, cuts in social programs, etc?

Give war a chance? What about the war on poverty? We’re losing that one, and our country is the poorer because of it.

Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home