The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Political Notes
My grandfather was from Georgia, and he used to say something like, “There will be blood on the Capitol steps (in Atlanta) before Georgia will ever integrate its schools.” Of course Georgia did integrate its schools. I don’t know if there was blood on the Capitol steps; but today Corretta Scott King, a black woman, lies in honor in that very Capitol. Although I may be depressed about what George W. Bush is doing to our country, I remind myself that things are better now than they once were. We have a long way to go, and I try to remain optimistic. I think Corretta Scott King would want it that way. By the same token, we can’t just sit here and wait for change to happen. We have to work for it. There is no better time than now to get started.

Sort of in that same vein, here is a video, The Battle for America, thanks to Not in my Bible.

Bird Flu Notes
Bird flu is a threat to all the nations of the world, not just to open societies like Turkey and Bulgaria. So what are we doing to ensure that other countries, like Myanmar, North Korea, and Iran, get onboard in the fight against H5N1? This article discusses that question in some detail. This needs to be a global effort, you know. Anything less might have tragic consequences.

On the other hand, there are diseases out there that are actually killing thousands of our citizens right now. Our major focus needs to be on those, rather than on a disease that may or may not be a big problem in the future. I for one think there is too much hype over H5N1. I don’t think the media should go so wild every time someone is tested for a suspected case of bird flu. The big question is, how can we find balance? The answer is, keep trying.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

COMING SOON

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home