The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Tao of Bird Flu
5. You would think that bird flu would drive the countries of Asia together to defeat this terrible foe. In some ways it drives them apart.

More skepticism
You may remember that in a February 2 post I said I was skeptical about the new genetically engineered bird flu vaccine that proved effective in protecting mice from H5N1. It seems like I’m not the only one to be skeptical about that. This article details some of the reservations that experts have about this supposed, or potential, breakthrough vaccine.

We’re all doomed
I have spoken about the chemical PFOA on two previous occasions. (Jan 29, Jan 31) According to this article, DuPont will phase out the use of PFOA, planning to eliminate it completely by 2015. I don’t know how long PFOA has been around, but now we have to put up with it for nine more years. Well at least there is light at the end of the tunnel, but what good is that going to do me, and what about all the PFOA that’s already out there? My understanding is that it is now ubiquitous in the environment, as well as in the blood stream of everyone. And it is a likely carcinogen. As I have said before, I try to watch my diet very carefully. What good does that do? I have PFOA in my body, it will never go away, and in spite of all my best efforts, it might cause me to get cancer. This is true of YOU also. Doesn’t it piss you off? It certainly pisses me off. Thank God I don’t eat microwave popcorn, or French fries anymore, but I’ve eaten my fair share of them in the past. You know, when you go to the grocery store and buy some food, you don’t expect to come home with something that might kill you years down the road. And the thing is, I would have never known about this threat if not for articles like these. I feel betrayed by the food industry, like I felt when I found out about hydrogenated oil, except this is different. Hydrogenated oil in the food can cause heart disease, whereas chemicals like PFOA can cause cancer. Tell me we’re not all doomed.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

COMING SOON

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home