The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Tao of Bird Flu
7. There is nothing beneficial about bird flu. There is nothing honorable about bird flu. It kills birds and children.

Political Notes
Dennis Kucinich has issued a response to President Bush’s budget, which he calls morally bankrupt. He also has many other choice words to describe what is happening in this country. Read this press release. It makes me wish Kucinich had been elected president in 2004. We do have some great and courageous men in this country. Dennis Kucinich is one of them. On this day when Dr. Martin Luther King’s widow was buried, I remember that the great men have not always had the power that they needed to effect change, but the truth of their message was powerful, and could not be silenced.

Speaking of other great and courageous Americans, did everybody listen to the eulogies today at Mrs. King’s funeral? Inspiring.


Health Notes
You can probably never say this enough: broccoli is good for you.

There is a new study out that says reducing fat intake does not greatly reduce a risk of disease. The study, however, was not really definitive, and it will not have any effect on my dietary choices: I will continue to consume a low fat diet. Besides, study participants only reduced fat intake by 10%. That’s nothing. Even if they had reached the study’s goal of a 20% reduction, that’s still nothing.

Trans fats, yuk. Trans fats, yuk. French fries have trans fats. Hospital foods have trans fats. Insane. Many, many snack foods have trans fats. You really have to read labels carefully, and apparently remain constantly alert, even in hospitals, if you want to avoid trans fats (i.e., hydrogenated oil) like I do. Trans fats are bad for you. They raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol. Lord save me from trans fats! Amen.


Don’t want to get fat? Don’t eat (and drink) the American diet. Oh, but we are Americans. And we live in America. Anyway, don’t eat (and drink) the American diet if you don’t want to get fat. Oh, and how did pizza get to be part of the American diet? (I thought it was Italian.) Pizza became part of the American diet when the Americans got a hold of it and made it what it is today. You can still get Italian pizza in many parts of America. Everywhere else you can only find American pizza.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

COMING SOON

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home