The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Tao of Bird Flu
8. Birds, for the most part, are sympathetic creatures, but not so bird flu.

Bird Flu Note
This article from New Scientist has information about the new bird flu outbreak in Nigeria. It also goes into some detail about those migrating birds that we have discussed so often. Bird flu is said to be spreading like wildfire, with some 80,000 infected birds. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a video from Reuters which shows graphically the situation in Nigeria. Check it out. The squalor is – well it’s probably just what you’d expect to see in Nigeria.

Health Note
McDonald’s says its French fries contain 33% more trans fats than it previously realized, eight grams per large serving instead of six grams. Better testing procedures are responsible for revealing this more accurate figure. Great! French fries not only contain a lot of trans fats, but they contain even more than we thought. Additionally, they probably contain the chemical PFOA which we have discussed several times in this blog. (A lot of the literature says that PFOA is contained in fast food packaging, including that of frozen French fries. Here is a website that has a downloadable letter you can send to McDonald’s asking them to stop using PFOA.) And we’re supposed to like French fries and eat a lot of them with all these trans fats and Lord only knows what else? Not me. If I go to McDonald's, I'll eat a salad. They're safe aren't they?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,



COMING SOON

Four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

Also check here for The Tao of Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home